Friday, March 27, 2009

Its all going downhill for Bombay...

Spent the major part of today on the roads of Bombay and I am disappointed, disgusted, terrified and shocked by what I saw. Sample this...

Lokhandwala complex... d roads have been dug up
On d way to Andheri station... d roads have been dug up
On d way to Saki Naka... d roads have been dug up

... n all this with the dreaded Monsoon season just a couple of months away. The MET department has already predicted high tides in the month of July of the kind never seen in Mumbai in many years. From what I saw today it would take a miracle to save the city from mayhem this monsoon!

But all this is some of the new mess that has been created... whats even scarier is the mess which existed 2 years back when I had left Bombay and has only gone from bad to worse in these 2 years... esp the two major chunks:

1. On d way to IIT... d roads are still in a mess
2. Times of India junction... d flyover is not even close to completion

In some 6-7 hours that I spent on the road today I am sure I ended up inhaling more dust, smoke and other pollutant matter than what I have in over 18 months spent on MDI campus.

My short visit to the lush green IIT campus provided some much needed respite but then the journey back home from IIT completely sapped me... it took almost the same time it used to take me about 3 years back... or perhaps it took even more time. I was so damn tired and frustrated that I had stopped keeping track by then. Dont know what the planners of the city are upto!

By the end of the day I had a running nose, burning eyes and severe headache.

Was almost teary eyed on my way home... partly due to the burning sensation caused by all the dust and smoke... but mainly because...

... I was worried for my city which now seems to be in a royal mess perhaps beyond repair &
... I was missing my lush green peaceful and pollution free campus! :|

God save Bombay!

No comments: